Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday

Today I started out just like yesterday - a 3.5 hour rehearsal in the morning. I did locate a Starbucks very close and had coffee and a donut prior to the rehearsal, which was good. The rehearsal was fantastic. The amount of sound 280 people can generate is amazing to me. This is really going to be a great concert.

After rehearsal, I did some shopping for Brian, Wendy and her family and my Dad and Susan. While on my shopping trek, I was asked for directions by someone on the street. I think I must have had that, "don't mess with me" look on my face and the walk with a purpose stride. Who knows.

After the trek, I had some lunch, then rested for a bit. My family called me and we set up plans to meet and go on the Staten Island Ferry. My cousin Kyle, who lives here in NYC got on the phone and gave me subway directions. I did ride the subway by myself and was completely fine with that. Kyle and his girlfriend Christina were waiting for me at the top of the subway when I arrived and we stepped out into the snowy weather. I had no idea it was snowing.

We got to the ferry and the rest of the family was there. There was a tiny bit of drama at the port. An elderly gentleman "evacuated" his bladder on another gentleman's coat. An unfortunate event, that my aunt steered us all away from. The boat arrived and we all jumped on. I will say that it was rather cold standing outside, getting a look at the Statue of Liberty and the New York skyline. It was really funny though because my family doesn't do anything half way. When we get together, it's either 100 degrees or it's 100 below. We are the only people that would stand out in what one New Yorker called a "snowstorm" (oh please) to get a photo of the skyline at night.

Once we returned, we went to a vegan restaurant. My cousin and his girlfriend recommended the restaurant. I had a roasted vegetable salad. It was great. Then we took a bus back to Union Square where I got on the subway.

Regarding subways: It is an art standing there and not falling down when you're either lurching forward to go or coming to a halt. Try it sometime, you'll see what I mean.

Tomorrow is the concert. I am both ready and excited for this. I did find out I think we're going to have a recording, so it'll be great.

No comments: