Thursday, January 22, 2009

Carnegie Hall

Well friends, I have now returned home from NYC and am sitting down to write the last blog of the New York series. Monday was the concert day, so we were free in the morning. I went to Macy's with some people from my group and it was great! The building had 9 floors in it and I was on every one of them! I had breakfast at the McDonalds on the 6th floor and then perused each of the other floors. Talk about overwhelming!

After Macy's, we went to the Empire State Building. This is a huge deal for me because I have a huge fear of heights. I toughed it out and I made it to the top, where it wasn't nearly as frightening as I had thought it would be. Here is a pic of me on the top of the building. See, I don't look scared. (Not outwardly, anyway.)


We then rode the subway back to the hotel to get ready for our rehearsal with the orchestra at 2:30. We rode the bus all together to Carnegie and hustled to get our picture taken as a group, which is also shown below. The rehearsal went well and we finished right on time. I had dinner with some of my fellow choristers at a local pizza place. It was fantastic!

We hung out for a while, hit the Carnegie Hall gift shop, where I got a Mozart Action Figure. Yes, I really did. He sits on my desk at work. Then it came time to warm up and get in line. It takes some time to get 280 people in order, in case you were wondering.

We filed out onto the stage to see a full house. Then the orchestra came in, followed by the soloists and our conductor, Dirk Garner. I must say, I think he's probably the best conductor I have ever worked with. I hope to work with him again sometime.

The concert began and here is where words fail me. I cannot tell you or begin to explain how much emotion we all were feeling up there and how focused everyone was. We got through the last movement and he cut us off and I don't think anyone breathed for about 10 seconds. We were all looking at him expectantly, praying silently for that approval that we had performed to his liking. He paused, put his hands down and one onto his chest and smiled the biggest smile. I think the whole choir nearly cried at that moment. Even he was a little teary. I think, as a singer, that was my proudest moment ever.

After the concert, I saw my family and then hopped BACK on the bus to go on a 3 hour boat cruise with the other performers around the harbor. We ate, danced and socialized with the other choirs and even our conductor. We all had a great time.

Sadly, we had to leave the next day. I am already excited to think about going back to NY to visit longer, do more things.




Thanks for hanging out with me in NY! I'll be posting again soon!

2 comments:

Kara Gebhart Uhl said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip! I so wish I could have been there!

gary gebhart said...

Glad we could be there!