Monday, October 6, 2008

What's that scent you're wearing?


Had you asked me that on Sunday evening, the answer would not have been any the following:


1. Chanel No. 5

2. Poison

3. White Diamonds

4. Charlie

5. anything by Britney Spears or Paris Hilton


Instead, had you inhaled in close proximity to me, the scent you would have smelled was one that reminds me of the holidays. No, it's not pine, cranberries or sugar cookies.


It is Chex Mix, or rather a blend of garlic and onion powders and worcestershire sauce.


Let me explain why I smelled like a snack. This week is national Customer Service week. This year, I am on the planning team for the week. We were given a budget and some guidance and we planned activities, gifts, etc. for this week for the Customer Service Department. The reps really like getting snacks, so we thought it would be a great idea to look at chex mix. As you can imagine, it is way too expensive to buy it and rebag it. So genius here asked about making it. The whole team thought it was a grand idea. So out of a team of eight, three of us decided we could do it. In theory, this doesn't take a long time. In reality, it too WAY more time than we thought it would.


Have I mentioned that we had to make enough to feed 250 people?


To make a long story short, Wendy and I started on Saturday night and made one batch. One of my cohorts brought over four batches, which we bagged into individual baggies with a colorful label. Then Sunday after church, we started up again, with another of my coworkers coming over to help cook and bag. At 5pm, Wendy and I left to go celebrate Dad's birthday. My coworker took the remaining fixings and went home. I called him when I got home and had finished bagging the one remaining batch and then proceeded to count the baggies. At my house alone there were 189. He had 70.


Let me tell you, it is so disappointing when a snack you love can nauseate you. I told Dad I wasn't eating anymore until he made some and that he was not allowed to come make it at my house. Today when I walked in the door, it still reeks of the spices.


So there is my tale of woe with Chex Mix and that new perfume blend by none other than Chex.


2 comments:

Mamaof2M's said...

Ahh yes, "Ode de Holiday!" I love that scent. :)

Kara Gebhart Uhl said...

Ha! I'm sure when Christmas comes around you'll be craving it, though. :) I tagged you! Check out my blog.