Monday, March 21, 2011

The interesting thing about relationships...

Recently, I had a conversation with some people I work with regarding my own personal life and my relationship with B. I spent the majority of the conversation defending the fact that:

1. We've been together for almost 2 decades
2. We aren't married
3. We don't live together
4. We have no children

It occurred to me that it seemed like a waste of time justifying my relationship to someone else who wasn't even in MY relationship, but we do that, don't we? I pondered upon the reason why we defend our relationships so fiercely. It could be many reasons. It could be because we don't like others to judge us. It could be because in our mind, they just don't understand and feel the need to tell them why. On a different note, it could be because we are trying to convince ourselves that what we have is okay.

Fortunately for me, that last reason doesn't apply. I will defend my relationship to the end because I'm in the place that I want to be - with him. I love him and fall more in love with him every day. I'm usually not the "emotional" type, but when you get fired up, you'd be surprised at what emerges.

Yes, it's not typical. But who in the world said that everyone had to live in the house with the 2.5 kids and the white picket fence? Please don't mistake my comments for bashing the "typical" family setting. I know many people, including my own relatives who are fabulous. I'm just not that person. I don't mind living in an apartment. 1200 square feet with the added bonus of not having to mow. LOL And don't get me wrong, I love kids. I love Makenna and Mavvie just like they are my own. They trained me to handle Ethan and Kaven really well since I don't see them very often. And little boys are much different than little girls. Brian's nephews, while a challenge sometimes, are as dear to me as if I was their "real" aunt. I have a "mother-in-law" who calls me her daughter-in-law despite the lack of legal paperwork. In the end, is it the paper that matters or is it the relationships we foster while we can?

My friends at work were astounded at my revelations. They acted like I was the last single person on earth. They couldn't fathom that I was perfectly content with my "boyfriend" (he hates that term) and that him and I were fine with it.

They just don't get it. I'm not sure they ever will.

No comments: